Monday 26 March 2012

Writing

I've always loved writing but for the last couple of years I've been focusing on my other talents and things (such as soccer, schoolwork etc..). I haven't written much lately and what I have written has been essays for school and not creative writing which is what I really enjoy. The English I do for Cambridge is based around interpretation and commentary on pieces of writing and there is very little creative writing involved. 

However since this year I made the decision to leave soccer indefinitely I have spent a lot more time thinking about other things than football. And one of the main things I've been thinking about is writing. I found a blog written by an author which some of the people I follow follow and as I was reading it I suddenly had this idea. I should write a book.

When I was 12 I wrote a story called Fort Wolfbane. It was heavily influenced by my favourite author at that time Brian Jacques and his book series Redwall of which I have 19 of the 22 books. I'm something of a Redwall fanatic and although I don't read them anymore (partly because I've read them so many times I know the stories of by heart and partly because they are aimed at younger people) I'm still trying to get the last 3 books to complete the series. 

Oops. That was slightly of topic there. Anyways book writing.....

So I was reading this blog and I remembered how much I loved to write so for the last couple of days I've been thinking about what I should write about. I've come up with a very basic plot and I am trying to order the jumble of ideas in my head into something that makes at least some sense and isn't just another rip off of a popular book series. If it ever gets published, which is unlikely but possible, I don't want it to be labelled just another rip off.

For some crazy reason I told a friend that I would show her my ideas tomorrow so I am just slightly stressing out trying to make sure that I do actually have some decent ideas to show her. I really liked my idea until that point and now I am stressing out about whether I am actually happy with the basic story line. It has already been subjected to some major tweaking/changing/complete re-writing and it will most likely undergo a lot more tonight.

Re-reading this makes me think I'm taking this all way too seriously. :P






No comments:

Post a Comment