Monday 20 August 2012

Part 2: The Strikers

Yep I've skipped the midfield but I will get back to them don't worry. I don't have the time to give the middle the overhaul it deserves so I've jumped to our Attack.

The Forwards                         

Let's be honest, the loss of Robin Van Percie who was the best player in the Premier League last year, as well as the top scorer, is no little deal and it's hurt us up front. But I still think we've got some exciting talent that cannot be ignored.

Lucas Podolski
I spent all of last season hoping that we would sign the German striker and, when we did, I was an extremely happy chappy. Making his first appearance for Arsenal over the weekend Lucas didn't have the greatest of starts but he has proven himself before. Podolski has had enormous success on the international stage having won his 100th cap for Germanyduring the 2012 Euro's. During these 100 matches he has averaged about a goal every two games.

He is not in the same league as Van Percie but, once he settles down, he will be an enormous asset up front for the Gunnners.

Olivier Giroud
Another Frenchman to join the long list of Arsene Wenger's French footballers Giroud is another Goal scoring striker. Again he's not a Van Percie but I think Arsenal supporters need to stop comparing players to the Premier League's greatest striker. At 6 ft 3 the Frenchman adds height to Arsenal's attack but he's much mre than just tall. His footwork, comfort on the ball and work off the ball led him to be joint top scorer in the top flight off French football last year with 25 qoals in 43 appearances.

I have high hopes for his future at the club and I think that Giroud and Podolski will make a fine strike partnership up front for Arsenal.

Marouane Chamakh
1 goal in 19 matches last season says it all. I don't see him doing much more this season and I can't see him starting in matches ahead of Giroud and Podolski.


Nicklas Bendtner

I think Denmark's star striker is a quality forward who is willing to score goals but I feel like he is on the way out and, too be honest, I think it would be better for his career. He had a solid year at Sunderland last season and maybe he should sign a long term deal with the english club.

Ju Young Park
Park has a lot to prove this season. He only made seven appearances for Arsenal last season as Robin Van Percie's superb form left no room for anyone else to shine. But this could very well be the Korean's year. He has shown glimpses of brilliance, His goal in the League Cup for example, and he has definately got very deft footwork.

Of our second-tier strikers I definately put Park at the top of the list and I think that he could really prove himself this season.

And that is Arsenal's forwards. We definately have talent up front but said talent needs to stand up and be counted this season. We aren't able to rely on RVP scoring once a week for us anymore and we desperately need our strikers to work hard at creating goal-scoring opportunities this season.

See you guys next time for part 3: The Midfield

No comments:

Post a Comment